Saturday, January 31, 2015

Uganda 4

The good thing about getting up at 3.30 in the morning to go to the airport is that your mind is a strange combination of complete disorientation as to who you are and how you feel about that, and complete focus in regards to what you are supposed to do. No emotions possible. They catch up eventually, of course, but then there's nothing to do but suck it up, whatever you're feeling.

Yes, it's that time of the year again; Uganda time. The plane ride is a many-layered transition; weather, sense of time, possibility to walk down a street unnoticed. Streetcrossing strategies. I have about 14 hours to reset my head, and as a bonus I get a stop in Kigali.

I realized last night that two months is a pretty long time and that last time I went to Uganda for such a period, I wasn't alone most of the time. That was a bit unsettling; on the other hand, this time around I am a more seasoned muzungu, and have some friendly faces waiting. And a spot that's not Nkozi, the place where time seems to stand still, or Kampala, the place where nothing ever stands still, but a sweet spot between. I have a good feeling about it.

New trip, clean slate but I saw that in the last post I wrote, I stated that if I'm coming back I want to stay in Fort Portal. Well, here I am. After a few days of errands in Kampala I'm heading west, towards the Rwenzoris. 

1 comment:

  1. I envy you the feeling! Enjoy all your moments (even if it is not always completely uncomplicated...)
    Mamma

    ReplyDelete