Sunday, February 15, 2015

Crater lakes

This weekend I got off my lazy behind and went exploring the crater lake area. I splurged a bit and went with a guide, which was good because it wasn't particularly easily navigated. We did a 2.5 hike which included beautiful views of several of the lakes, walking through villages and farms (not so exotic for me), and the best part - swimming in Mahoma waterfalls. Well, swimming - more of a power-shower. It was a amazing, and worth the steep hike back up from the falls which nearly killed me. We had lunch at a campsite by one of the lakes, which had four kinds of not-so-shy monkeys; vervet, black and white colobus, red colobus and red tailed monkey. Spotted them all! The vervets are my favorite, so cute. There was a small patch of forest reserve by the campsite so we also took a shorter forest walk where I got to learn a lot about the different trees and their uses, most of which I have now forgotten but it was nice at the time..

Cute vervets



Black & white colobus
The prettiest crater lake (forgot the name..)

The view that's on the 20 000 shilling bill (minus me, thank god)

Hillside swidden agriculture (see the woman in the bottom right corner - think about her the next time you complain about working too hard...)


Mahoma falls
Wild tomatoes (tasted like physalis)

Sunday was spent sleeping, working and reading by the pool - a rather enjoyable emerging Sunday tradition.

2 comments:

  1. Ser fint ut! Tror bestämt att du får göra en sådan utflykt till med oss:)
    Bra här, varit på en akut-psykiatrikurs i veckan. Imorgon ska vi ner till skåne för att gå på Johannas 30-årsfest.
    Kram!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both you and your relatives seem like being well! I would very much like to visit Uganda, I will hope for a next time with you.
    (Glad you had a guide with you, even if your sence of finding your way is better than mine!).
    Mum

    ReplyDelete